George Washington Biography
Quotes and Bibliography
George Washington Quotes
"Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth."
"While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the rights of conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men."
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."
"Observe good faith and justice towards all nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all."
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience."
"If the freedom of Speech may be taken away-and, dumb & silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."
"…the constitution is the guide, which I will never abandon."
"My brave fellows, you have done all I asked you to do, and more than can be reasonably expected; but your country is at stake, your wives, your houses and all that you hold dear. "
"In politics as in philosophy, my tenets are few and simple. The leading one of which, and indeed that which embraces most others, is to be honest and just ourselves and to exact it from others, meddling as little as possible in their affairs where our own are not involved."
"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."
"Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and show the whole world that a Freeman, contending for liberty on his own ground, is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth."
"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder. "
"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
- General George Washington: A Military Life by Edward G. Lengel. 2005.
- His Excellency: George Washington by Joseph J. Ellis. 2004.
- Seven Men and the Secret of Their Greatness by Eric Metaxas. 2013.
- Our Countries Presidents by Ann Bausum. 2016.
- George Washington's Mount Vernon. www.mountvernon.org. 2017.
- George Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. 2010.
- George Washington: The Crossing by Jake E. Levin. 2013.
George Washington Biography Contents
- Overview and Interesting Facts
- Growing Up George Washington
- French and Indian War
- Fort Duquesne
- Married Life and Mount Vernon
- The American Revolution Begins
- Commander in Chief
- Crossing the Delaware
- 1777 and Valley Forge
- Victory in the American Revolution
- End of the War, King Washington, and the Constitutional Convention
- First President of the United States
- The Presidency
- Leaving the Presidency, Retirement, and Death
- George Washington Quotes and Bibliography